Thursday, December 26, 2013

Body Chow

I wouldn't call this an epiphany, but I guess it is. On Wednesday last week, 18th December 2013, I decided to ditch all body, hair and beauty products that contained chemicals in it. My dad thinks I am now insane after he witnessed me cracking an egg over my head.

It all started with an annoying and painful battle with dandruff that led to a sensitive scalp. I had always subconsciously wanted to be chemical free, but never really thought it through or gave it any whacks. So maybe a year a go, I decided to make this a conscious effort and stop using conditioner. It was good for a while, and then, it all went downhill when I switched to the Satan of ALL hair products, Himalaya Protein Shampoo, obviously by none other than The Himalayan Drug Company. My scalp was in ruins.

I only realised after reading other healthcare blogs that shampoo, conditioner and all these other products actually aren't very good for you. So from then on, I began on my journey of discovering what I should be giving my body, instead of what I should be force feeding it with.

DISCOVERY 1 :
Yahoo to No 'Poo!
It's been 8 days, which means, my second installment of the Egg and Lemon combo. I'll be keeping this to a weekly routine (Wednesdays, if anyone wants to join in), just so I can have a clean scalp throughout the working week, and leave the intensive oil treatments for the weekends. At least this way, the oils have a day or two to soak in, and my hair won't look stringy and gross at the office.

Le egg mon recipe :
Simpler than beating a drum. Beat in an egg and juice of 1 lemon, pour over hair and massage into scalp. I usually leave it in for an hour, then wash it off with water.


On days that are not Wednesdays, I just rinse and massage my scalp with water and on the weekends, COCONUT OIL!!! I also keep a bottle of Argan oil in my bag to apply daily during the day.

Now, the trick about coconut oil, is getting rid of it. I leave it in for an hour, then do the first HOT WATER rinse. Rinse twice daily with hot water for 2 days and it should almost be out of your hair. It must be hot water so that the oil doesn't harden. I have to say, after these 7 days, my dandruff has completely disappeared!!!

DISCOVERY 2 :
Aging with Grace.
I only started this yesterday, but my face is already feeling radiant and fresh. Be it a psychological or physical improvement in my complexion, I'm pretty sure the natural stuff is better in the long run than the clinical bottled products I used to use.

The curer of them all, saviour of acne, and the protector from all baddies, COCONUT OIL. I use just a tiny bit everyday to remove my makeup (I will be writing another post on homemade makeup). I've also made this paste-like facial scrub, for my face to be exfoliated 3 times a week.

Cinna-comb recipe :
It's just a combination of cinnamon, nutmeg and honey. You may adjust the consistency of either ingredients depending on the smell and the feel you want. Take a step further and add a teaspoon or two of coconut oil for those of you with dry skin for moisture.

Recipe taken from this site.

So far so good, I smell like a walking dessert and my pug, Eva, won't stopping licking my face after a wash.


Next post will be about making homemade makeup and a touch of coconut oil pulling.
Keeping it real.



2 comments: