Friday, May 30, 2014

My View in 360°

Let's not dwell on and dramatise the metaphorical meaning of the title, because you're not getting it!!! hahahah!

When Christopher Colombus discovered the Earth was a spherical mass (based on mainstream history, not going to argue about that now), I don't think many people, besides the obvious super gung-ho existentialists and pantheists, think about this enough times to fully absorb the meaning of 360. Honestly, I haven't even tried. After all, what each of us see through our eyes is a matter of perspective, isn't it?

Sri Lanka has given me a taste on what it's like to experience the 360 limit of our perspective. Okay, maybe not "limit", it makes it sound like I'm putting a cap on the human ability, even though it's true. Let's try... magnitude. Yes, the 360 magnitude of our perspective.

So apparently, you get blue whales in Sri Lanka. DID YOU KNOW THAT???? Good. Nor did we. On our third day here, we were invited to go whale watching by our neighbours, the nature conservationists - Daya and Chamila. Still not convinced we were going to see any whales, off we went on this whale escapade at 6 in the bloody morning.

Sunrise in Trincomalee

We got in a boat and as it started scooting towards the horizon, the land we left behind got smaller and smaller, and eventually it disappeared. Looking around, you only got the same frame as the last - blue water, blue water and more blue water. It was then that I fully absorbed the magnificence around me, where I stood amongst all the other things on this planet, and most of all I was given the chance to admire the beautiful curvature of the Earth in its full natural colour that we sometimes neglect to see.

Before I could go on daydreaming further about what was spherical and what was not, this little pup popped up to the surface. (Only that it wasn't really a pup, it was a full-fledged water-spouting, tail-flapping, krill-eating blue whale.)



Trincomalee, where we're based right now, has been a very nice surprise so far, especially for its heart-warming people with heart-warming smiles, and of course, the amazing food. Besides the lack of jellybeans, this wonderful little place will always mean something special to me because this was where Michael and I began a new chapter in our lives.





No comments:

Post a Comment